Friday, September 23, 2016

How to Create a Pie Chart Embellishment by Jaclyn Rench

Design Team member Jaclyn Rench is sharing step by step instructions for how to create a beautiful pie chart to use on your layouts and cards! We love how she was able to feature so many of our September Main Kit patterned papers on her layout using her pie chart technique!

I have long admired the pie chart trend, but for some reason or other, never tried it on a scrapbook page, myself. That is until now!  The beautiful patterns from the September kit were just begging to be made into a pie design.  Here's a look at the fall themed pie chart I created for my gallery this month. 


The best part about this design is that it's easy to do and doesn't require any fancy tools or electronic die cutters. 

I pulled out some leftover papers and embellishments from my July main kit to create a card with a similar pie chart design.  I've taken pictures of that process to demonstrate to you just how easy this look can be to duplicate, at any size and with any products.

To begin, you'll need to trim or punch out a circle from scrap paper, at the approximate size you want your finished pie chart to be.  Since I knew I'd be using my finished design to adhere to a standard A2 sized card front, I used my circle cutter to trim a 3.5" circle.  (Note: if you don't own a circle cutter, punches or dies in the right size, you can simply trace the bottom of a cup bowl or dish of the appropriate size, and hand cut it out).  Next, trim or punch a second sized circle a couple of inches smaller.  This smaller circle will be used to attached the finished pieces of your pie chart to.


Set aside the smaller of the two circles and fold the larger circle in half - lining up the edges.


Fold that same circle in half again, horizontally.  Once again, being sure to line up the edges of the design.


Your circle is now divided into fourths.  Once unfolded, you can easily pinpoint and mark the center.

 
Using a ruler and pencil, divide your circle into the appropriate number of sections, according to your desired design.  I chose to divide my pie into five pieces of varying widths.  Make sure that the point of each pie piece lines up with the center of the circle, that you've just predetermined and number each piece.


Now simply cut along the lines to create your pie pieces.

Use the pie pieces you've created as a stencil.  Trace and number each piece onto an array of patterned papers and trim them out.


Next, piece your pie back together in the order that you've numbered them and reach for the smaller circle that you had previously set aside.

 
Cover your scrap paper circle in adhesive and adhere the pieces of the pie chart into place, being sure to line up the edges of each piece, leaving no space in between the pieces.


And now comes the fun part - the embellishment!  In this example, I've pulled various stickers from the kit to dress up my pie chart.  In my gallery project (seen above), I printed out journaling strips and adhered them over top of each pie piece, to represent the different reason why I love fall.

 
You might have also noted that pie chart from my gallery page is a little 'wonky' and imperfect.  If you want your pie chart to have this same layered and handmade feel, you'll simply need to cut a couple additional pieces to layer among your design, as shown...


Here's a look, once the additional layers have been added...


Adding this piece to a pretty patterned paper background and embellishing it with a cute chipboard ampersand made for a quick and cute card design!


I hope you'll give the pie chart a try and share with us your results!  Happy Scrapping!

Here is the September Main Kit:

To see more beautiful creations made with the contents of this kit, please visit our inspiring Design Team Gallery.

For more information about our kits, visit our website at MyCreativeScrapbook.com